The Career Timeline of MI Online’s Charles Chemery (AKA DJ Charlie Sputnik)
Havana, Casablanca, New York, Paris and Tokyo are just some of the places lucky enough to have had DJ Charlie Sputnik drop a beat live on stage. Franco-American Charles Chemery has produced tracks for some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry, such as The American Film Institute, Audi, 20th Century Fox and Disney. He has also shared the sound booth and stage with legends like Chaka Khan, DJ Sneak, Gnarls Barkley, Evelyne “Champagne” King and Jurassic 5. Indeed, when we say students at MI Online will learn from the legends, we aren’t kidding.
When Charles isn’t busy adding a certain je ne sais quoi to virtual lectures for his MI Online Course – Intro to DJing, he is collaborating with the hottest talent and releasing chart-topping tracks.
Here’s a quick glimpse of where it all began for Charlie Sputnik and what he’s currently working on:
- Releases “Don’t Stop” with Indian DJ sensation Anish Sood; the track reaches #6 on the Indian iTunes Dance music chart.
- Collaborates with Chicago house music pioneer DJ Sneak on his upcoming album.
- Releases a remix to funk and soul legend Chaka Khan’s “House of Love” project, with his new electronic group La Bête Noire.
- Collaborates on German producer and DJ Manuel Tur’s “Ela”, playing guitar. The track is released on the Future Sounds of Jazz compilation series on Compost Records.
- Creates and launches Musicians Institute’s brand new DJ Production and Performance and Production Program at Hollywood’s Musicians Institute (MI).
- Collaborates with ten times Grammy Award winner and legend Chaka Khan as a vocalist.
- Performs live and DJs at the Musicabana festival in Havana, Cuba, with his new electronic group La Bête Noire, as well as solo.
- DJs premiere for Oscar-nominated film “La La Land” in Hollywood, CA.
- Becomes Program Chair for the Independent Artist Program at Musicians Institute (MI) in Hollywood, CA.
- Becomes an Endorsed Artist for electronics brand TC-Helicon.
- Releases “Found Love EP” with Los Angeles-based producer Magic Touch, released on Tensnake’s True Romance label.
- Releases a record with Zoowax, a project with gifted vocalist and funky princess Novena Carmel (Sly Stone’s daughter) and Art Bleek (distinguished producer), a mix of house music and Dixieland jazz. Zoowax is signed on Germany’s Chin Chin Records and UK’s Loungin’ Recordings (available on CD, Spotify and iTunes).
Releases “We’re in L.A.” album with Bleek & Sputnik project (available on Spotify and iTunes).
- DJs North American premiere of 2012 Best Picture Academy Award winner “The Artist”.
- DJs the Manhattan penthouse club at The Dream Hotel in New York City, NY.
- DJs World Premiere 2012 Best Picture Academy Award winner “Lincoln”.
- Collaborates with Art Bleek on his third LP “Art Supplies”, released on Loungin’ Recordings, London, UK.
- Collaborates with Art Bleek on his “Supplied Artworks” EP, released on Loungin’ Recordings, London, UK.
- DJs North American premiere of 2011 Steven Spielberg film “The Adventures of Tintin”.
- Performs at Le Pop In (Paris, France), Dini Mueter (Zürich, Switzerland) and various venues in Casablanca and Marrakech, Morocco.
- DJs prestigious venue Social Club in Paris, France.
- DJs at beach venue Casa Clube in Trancoso, Brazil.
- DJs at Manhattan hotspot Soho House, New York, NY.
- DJs at Mbar, Helsinki, Finland.
- Collaborates with Art Bleek on his “Urban Watcher” EP, released on Loungin’ Recordings, London, UK.
- Collaborates with Art Bleek on his “All Night” EP, released on Sick Trumpet Recordings, London, UK.
- Collaborates with Art Bleek on the “Royal Journey” compilation, released on Good Mood music, London, UK.
- Releases eponymous debut album.
- Plays numerous LA clubs, such as The Standard, The Derby, Temple Bar, King King, Viper Room, to name a few.
- Opens for Gnarls Barkley at The Roxy, West Hollywood, CA with Juliafly.
- Plays Tobacco Road in Miami, FL.
- Collaborates with Art Bleek on his first LP “Between Yesterday and Tomorrow”, released on Loungin’ Recordings, London, UK.
- Plays Knitting Factory, Hollywood, CA with Super K.
- Shares the stage with Evelyn “Champagne” King and Jody Watley at The Mint, Los Angeles, CA.
- Plays solo in numerous LA venues, including Temple Bar, Santa Monica, The Mint and Fais DoDo, Los Angeles, CA, to name a few.
- Graduates from Boston’s Berklee College of Music.
Seventeen years of experience have been packed into Intro to DJing – MI Online’s Course for budding DJs eager to learn from program chair and course instructor, Charles Chemery.
Students from across the globe have the opportunity to spend ten weeks and learn the basics of DJing inside MI Online’s virtual classrooms and live lectures.
Get exclusive news about upcoming courses and events.
Through live lectures and virtual classrooms, MI Online provides real-world, artist-driven, and authentic learning opportunities available to anyone—from anywhere.