In this 10-week online course, students will get hands-on learning with veteran DJ, renowned vocalist, and Musicians Institute Program Chair, Charles Chemery (DJ Charlie Sputnik). Each weekly Unit is filled with fresh coursework, assessments and practice videos guiding students through essential DJing skills, such as beat matching with vinyl, working with Serato DJ software, creating a mix, landing the best DJ gigs and much more.
Students can also look forward to engaging Live Lectures with Charles Chemery himself, where he shares his tools of the trade, gives personalized instruction and answers students questions. By the end of this course, students will create and publish their own DJ mix online.
|Course: 10 weeks, 3-4 hours/week|
|Skill Level: Beginner|
|Certificate of Accomplishment: Grade of 70%+|
|Next Start Date: TO BE ANNOUNCED|
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Learn the history of modern DJing
- Understand the main types of DJ setups used today, their advantages and their drawbacks
- Learn how to beatmatch seamlessly using vinyl turntables and CDJs
- Understand the powerful features of the Serato DJ platform
- Learn to prepare a DJ set and record your own DJ mixes
- Learn to do physical and online “crate digging”
- How to use effects, samples, loops, and cue points during DJ sets
- Understand how to promote yourself and obtain DJing gigs and other engagements
- Learn the business side of DJing (how to create DJ riders, remixes, contracts, insurance, etc.)
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Once you’ve enrolled, just kick back and wait for your online course to start on the specified date. We’ll send you a reminder email shortly before your course starts.
- Once your course is live, a new unit will unlock every week for ten weeks. Each weekly unit contains fresh new coursework, pre-recorded video lessons, assignments, and more.
- Make sure to review the coursework every week, practice and prep questions, because you’ll have regular Live Lectures with Charles. During these lectures you’ll be able to ask him questions and interact with him.
- Charles’ course includes a weekly assignment – one assignment per week for ten weeks. You will receive instructions and requirements via email prior.
- All assignments are graded and you will get constructive feedback along with your grade.
- You can earn an MI Online Certificate of Accomplishment when you obtain a grade of 70% or more once your 10-week course is complete.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is designed for highly motivated beginner DJs. You will be taught new (and master existing) skills that require practice and precision, such as vinyl beat-matching. You must love music and enjoy researching and discovering new tracks.
You will be challenged to constantly improve the flow, pace, and quality of your DJ sets. Versatility is key as you develop your expertise in various music styles in order to become a well-rounded performer, ready to face any DJ opportunity.
WHAT GEAR WILL I NEED?
- A computer (PC/Mac) with at least 4GB RAM.
- We recommend that you connect to an Internet Line with an average speed of 10Mbps or better, and to use an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi
- The ability to make basic recordings of yourself. Recommended recording software includes Audacity, GarageBand, Logic, ProTools, etc.
- The ability to connect with the instructor via video chat applications
- A vinyl turntable setup, a CDJ/XDJ setup, or a Serato DJ setup (DJ controllers or vinyl control)
- We recommend using Chrome or Firefox internet browsers on iOS, MacOS, Windows or Android
- Full access to install software on the computer you are using
Recommended DJ Equipment
- High end: Pioneer DDJ-SZ, Pioneer DDJ-SX2, Numark NS7III
- Mid range: Pioneer DDJ-SR, Numark NVII, Reloop Terminal Mix 8
- Entry-level: Pioneer DDJ-SB2, Numark Mixtrack Platinum, Pioneer DDJ-WeGo3, Reloop BEATMIX 4
- High end: Pioneer CDJ-2000 NXS2, XDJ-1000 MK2
- Mid range: Pioneer CDJ-900 NXS, Gemini MDJ-1000
- Entry-level: Pioneer XDJ-700, Gemini CDJ-300
- High end: Reloop RP-8000, Denon VL12, Pioneer PLX-1000, Stanton ST-150
- Mid range: Roland TT-99, Audio-Technica LP120, Numark TT-250USB, Reloop RP-2000M
- Entry-level: Numark T.62B
- High end: Rane MP 2015, Pioneer DJM-900 NXS2, Allen & Heath XONE DB4
- Mid range: Allen & Heath XONE DB2, Pioneer DJM-750, Reloop RMX-60
- Entry-level: Pioneer DJM-350, Allen & Heath XONE 23C, Gemini MM1
How do I try a free lesson?
Go to the course page you’re interested in and click on the “Try a free lesson” button to sign up.
How do I enroll in a course?
No need to apply. Simply click “Enroll” on our course pages and create your MI Online profile. Once your payment is complete, consider yourself enrolled! All that’s left to do is put a reminder in your calendar of the course start date. We’ll email you a course date reminder and important info to get you started.
Do you offer courses in other languages?
Not yet but we’re working on it – stay tuned!
Can I take the course using my mobile phone or tablet?
Yes! You should, however, be aware that the Live Lecture chat box feature is not available for mobile devices. You can watch and hear your instructor but you won’t be able to ask him questions.
Are MI Online courses available for credit?
Not at this time but we’re looking into it. All courses delivered by MI Online are offered as an avocational option for individuals interested in music training and skills development. Courses are not offered for credit and are not applicable toward the attainment of any degree, certificate, or other academic award.
How many students are there in each course?
We have a maximum of 20 students per class for each of our courses. Our small class sizes helps create a collaborative, intimate space so that you’ll get the most out of your learning experience with your instructor and classmates.
How do MI Online courses work?
All our courses are 10 weeks. Each week you’ll watch pre-recorded video lessons. You’ll also receive an assignment, which is due before your scheduled Live Lecture with your Instructor. Your Live Lectures are your virtual classrooms and your opportunity to engage with, and learn directly from, your Course Instructor.
How long is the course accessible for?
You can access your course material for up to 12 months after your course ends.
What happens if I miss a Live Lecture?
We understand that our students come from all over the world and learn on different time zones. All our lectures are available for replay 48 to 72 hours after the schedule Live Lecture, so you can view any lectures you missed.
Which payment methods do you accept?
We support payments from Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal.
Can I pay for the course using a Payment Plan?
Yes, you can purchase all our courses in three monthly installments using your credit card.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Charles Chemery (DJ Charlie Sputnik) is an LA-based vocalist, DJ and educator who has performed in Havana, Casablanca, New York, Paris, Tokyo, and more. He has released music on electronic labels such as Chin Chin Records, True Romance, and Loungin’ Recordings, and produced for clients including The American Film Institute, Audi, 20th Century Fox, and Disney. He has recorded (or performed live) with Chaka Khan, DJ Sneak, Gnarls Barkley, Evelyne “Champagne” King, and Jurassic 5.
Charles is the Program Chair for both Musician Institute’s Independent Artist and DJ programs (launched in April 2016).
PREVIEW COURSEWORK / SYLLABUS
Unit 1: Vinyl and CD – History and Equipment
You will learn the history of DJing from the early days of recorded sound all the way to modern online streaming services.
Unit 2: Optional Equipment / Beat Matching And Mixing on Vinyl
Explore the world of microphones, mixers and modules and compare the vinyl and CDJ platforms.
Unit 3: Beat Matching and Blending With Vinyl
Develop your beat matching skills on av setup
Unit 4: Beat Matching with CDJs/XDJs
Enhance your beat matching on a CDJ setup.
Unit 5: Working with Serato DJ. Main screen, Virtual Decks and Playback Modes
Learn about waveform displays, main screen indicators and library views.
Unit 6: Working with Serato DJ. Cue Points and Loops
Dive deep into creating, triggering and editing cue points and loops.
Unit 7: Working with Serato DJ. SP-6 Sample Player and FX Plugins
Learn about loading and playing Samples with the SP-6.
Unit 8: Working with Serato DJ. Music File Management.
Learn how to organize your music with the help of Crates and other handy file-management tips.
Unit 9: Working with Serato DJ. Creating and recording Your DJ Set
Discover available recording options and hardware.
Unit 10: DJ Tips, Tricks and Business Advice
Uncover how to improve your creativity and maximize your business sense.
Fully Interactive Live Lectures with Charles Chemery
Graded assignments to test and track your progress
Fresh weekly coursework and video lessons
THE DJ REVOLUTION
DJing has undergone a revolution over the last 40 years, from analog DJing on turntables and scratching with vinyl, to groundbreaking digital DJing techniques using laptops, controllers, and DJ decks.
MI Online’s “Intro to DJing” course by Musicians Institute’s DJ guru, Charles Chemery, aims to demystify the world of DJing, giving aspiring DJs a comprehensive overview of today’s cutting-edge professional DJing techniques. Each lesson is designed to be highly engaging for beginner DJs eager to learn new skills and master their craft as artists.
WHAT OUR MI ONLINE STUDENTS SAY
“Thank you so much for the course and all the time you spent on it. I had so much fun, I learned a lot and hopefully I can attend another course in the future.”
Jenn, April 2017
“Thanks again for your classes, I still really enjoy them. Learning a ton from your practical knowledge.”
Jeff, Mar 2018