NEXT COURSE DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED
Enter your email to join our mailing list and be among the first to know when new courses will begin.
In this 6-week online course, students will get to learn with DJ industry veteran, Lacey Harris. Each weekly Unit is filled with fresh coursework, assessments and practice videos guiding students through the basics of Traktor Pro.
Students can also look forward to engaging Live Lectures with Lacey herself, where she gives personal, hands-on instruction and answers students’ questions directly. Explore how to beatmatch, sync, EQ, frequency blending, hot cues, effects and much more. At the end of this course students will curate and complete a 20-minute final recording to be used as a performance demo.
|Course: 6 weeks, 4-6 hours/week|
|Skill Level: Beginner|
|Certificate of Accomplishment: Grade of 70%+|
|Next Start Date: TO BE ANNOUNCED|
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Learn fundamental skill elements necessary for creating a great-sounding mix.
- Learn vital Traktor functions associated with the process, including EQ/Filter, FX, loops, Hotcues, and more.
- Learn what’s under the hood in Traktor and create a personally customized look and feel.
- Walk in with no experience, walk out with your first mix recording.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Once you’ve enrolled, just kick back and wait for your online course to start on the specified date. We’ll send you a reminder email shortly before your course starts.
- Once your course is live, a new unit will unlock every week for ten weeks. Each weekly unit contains fresh new coursework, pre-recorded video lessons, assignments, and more.
- Make sure to review the coursework every week, practice and prep questions, because you’ll have regular Live Lectures with Lacey. During these lectures you’ll be able to ask her questions and interact with her.
- Lacey’s course includes weekly assignments which you will need to complete and submit. You will receive instructions and requirements via email prior.
- At the end of this course students will curate and complete a 20-minute final recording with the goal of fine-tuning it well enough to be used as a performance demo.
- All assignments are graded and you will get constructive feedback along with your grade. You can earn an MI Online Certificate of Accomplishment when you obtain a grade of 70% or more once your 10-week course is complete.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is designed for highly motivated beginner DJs with zero to little experience with Native Instruments’ flagship DJ and live performance software, Traktor Pro.
This is a DJ-focused prerequisite course designed to help students master performance basics and to prepare for more advanced features.
With the instructor’s guidance and regular feedback, students will identify and work towards their personal goals for DJ and performance using Traktor, as well as mastering the fundamentals of mixing music in a professional manner. They will curate and complete a 20 minute final recording at the end of the course, with the goal releasing it as a performance demo.
WHAT GEAR WILL I NEED?
- A computer (PC/Mac) with at least 4GB RAM.
- We recommend that you connect to an Internet Line with an average speed of 10Mbps or better, and to use an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi.
- Traktor Pro or Traktor Scratch Pro software.
- At least 15 to 20 digital music files (WAV, MP3, AIFF, etc.)
- Control media (turntables or CDJs + mixer with Traktor sound card for Traktor Scratch Pro), OR a Traktor-ready all-in-one controller setup. Suggested: Traktor Kontrol S4/S2 controller or similar. See www.native-instruments.com for a full list of Traktor-ready devices.
- DJ headphones
- The ability to connect with the instructor via video chat.
- We recommend using Chrome or Firefox internet browsers on MacOS, Windows PC, iOS or Android.
- Full access to install software on the computer you are using.
How do I try a free lesson?
Go to the course page you’re interested in and click on the “Try a free lesson” button to sign up.
How do I enroll in a course?
No need to apply. Simply click “Enroll” on our course pages and create your MI Online profile. Once your payment is complete, consider yourself enrolled! All that’s left to do is put a reminder in your calendar of the course start date. We’ll email you a course date reminder and important info to get you started.
Do you offer courses in other languages?
Not yet but we’re working on it – stay tuned!
Can I take the course using my mobile phone or tablet?
Yes! You should, however, be aware that the Live Lecture chat box feature is not available for mobile devices. You can watch and hear your instructor but you won’t be able to ask him questions.
Are MI Online courses available for credit?
Not at this time but we’re looking into it. All courses delivered by MI Online are offered as an avocational option for individuals interested in music training and skills development. Courses are not offered for credit and are not applicable toward the attainment of any degree, certificate, or other academic award.
How many students are there in each course?
We have a maximum of 20 students per class for each of our courses. Our small class sizes helps create a collaborative, intimate space so that you’ll get the most out of your learning experience with your instructor and classmates.
How do MI Online courses work?
All our courses are 10 weeks. Each week you’ll watch pre-recorded video lessons. You’ll also receive an assignment, which is due before your scheduled Live Lecture with your Instructor. Your Live Lectures are your virtual classrooms and your opportunity to engage with, and learn directly from, your Course Instructor.
How long is the course accessible for?
You can access your course material for up to 12 months after your course ends.
What happens if I miss a Live Lecture?
We understand that our students come from all over the world and learn on different time zones. All our lectures are available for replay 48 to 72 hours after the schedule Live Lecture, so you can view any lectures you missed.
Which payment methods do you accept?
We support payments from Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal.
Can I pay for the course using a Payment Plan?
Yes, you can purchase all our courses in three monthly installments using your credit card.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
If you’ve been around Los Angeles’ underground dance and electronic music scene in the last decade or so, you’ve probably run into Lacey IQ (aka Inquiri). This Texas-born, LA-settled music maker, DJ, and educator has been mixing music for the love of dancers since 1998, as well as creating her own diversely-flavored catalogue of music since 2002.
After arriving in Los Angeles in 2004, professionally, she spent several years working for Native Instruments, the most recent of which were spent as a Traktor technical specialist and beta tester. From there, she moved on to teach DJing and music production professionally, for institutions such as LA’s renowned Musicians Institute.
PREVIEW COURSEWORK / SYLLABUS
Unit 1: Setup, Screen Layout, Deck Flavors, Control Options.
- Introduction (What is Traktor? System requirements, installation pointers)
- Screen layout
- Control Options
- Audio Setup & Routing
- Deck Flavors
Unit 2: Track Collection, Track Analysis, Beat Grid.
- Track Collection (Root Folder location & contents, Setting & Collection Backups, File Management preferences)
- Intro to Browser Tree (Track Collection, Playlists, iTunes node, Explorer)
- Why import?
- Track analysis (Analyze Options & pointers for use)
- Editing metadata
- Setting & adjusting Beat Grid
Unit 3: Basic Mixing & Sync Function.
- Introduction (What are the basic skills, what is Sync)
- Mixer & Volume level calibration
- Dropping on the Downbeat
- Matching Tempos (Manual beatmatch options, How Sync works, Sync Modes/Transport preferences)
- Mix timing (mixing in phrase)
Unit 4: Hotcues, Loops, FLUX Mode, Freeze & Slicer.
- Hotcues & Cue Points
- SNAP & QUANTIZE
- Loops & FLUX Mode
Unit 5: Frequency Blending: EQ, Filter, Key, Harmonic Blends.
- Intro to EQ, filter, harmonic mixing
- Traktor’s EQ & Filter Models
- Harmonic Mixing: Ideas & Methods
- Keylock & Traktor Key Detection
- EQ for qound quality & performance
Unit 6: FX & Final Project Preparation.
- Intro to using FX
- Traktor’s FX Units
- FX Single Mode & Group Mode
- Final Recording Checklist
Fully Interactive Live Lectures with Lacey Harris
Graded assignments to test and track your progress
Fresh weekly coursework and video lessons
LEARN FROM THE LEGEND
If you’ve been around Los Angeles’ underground dance and electronic music scene in the last decade or so, you’ve probably run into Lacey IQ (aka Inquiri). This Texas-born, LA-settled music maker, DJ, and educator
has been mixing music for the love of dancers since 1998, as well as creating her own diversely-flavored catalogue of music since 2002.
After arriving in Los Angeles in 2004, she spent several years working for Native Instruments, the most recent of which were spent as a Traktor technical specialist and beta tester. From there, she moved on to teach DJing and music production professionally, for institutions such as Hollywood’s renowned Musicians Institute.
Get exclusive news about upcoming courses and events.
Through live lectures and virtual classrooms, MI Online provides real-world, artist-driven, and authentic learning opportunities available to anyone—from anywhere.